Want to enjoy the best that Dallas restaurants have to offer without ever leaving your home? Our new recurring feature, Dish Pirate, will help you bring the city’s robust dining scene to your kitchen.
Dish Pirate: Maple & Motor’s Fried Baloney Sandwich
Inspired by: Chef and owner Jack Perkins
Maple & Motor’s “Fried Baloney Sandwich” can definitely be considered a guilty pleasure. Thick cut bologna, fried to perfection and placed between two buttered and toasted buns with a little lettuce and tomato. This sandwich can be enjoyed anytime you make your way over to Maple & Motor but it can also easily be prepared and devoured in the privacy of your own home.
All ingredients can be found at your local grocer and should cost you less than a ten dollar bill.
Recipe (Serves 1)
1 hamburger bun
2 slices of thick cut bologna
salt & pepper
oil for frying
1. Prepare lettuce and tomato by cutting them into slices.
2. Make 3 slices about 1 inch into bologna from edge to center equal distance around each piece. This “star-cut” prevents the bologna from curling up into a cup when it hits the hot oil.
3. Heat 1/4 cup oil to a good frying temperature of about 395 degrees.
4. Place both pieces of bologna in oil and fry until edges begin to get dark and crispy. Remove and set aside on paper towel.
5. Spread butter on top and bottom bun and toast in a heated pan.
6. Spread mayo on heated buns.
7. Assemble sandwich by stacking bologna, tomato and lettuce.