With Valentine’s Day just around the corner we thought it’d be an ideal week to taste a variety of red velvet cakes (in cake, cupcake, and jar form). It was a tough job, but somebody had to do it. Here’s what happened.
- Oh what are you? A little slice of heaven.
- Gets points for being the creamiest.
- Very good. A little too much icing.
- Good. Can taste sugar crystals. Buttery icing. Rich. Moist.
- Nice and moist. Don’t like the gritty frosting.
- Icing is a bit crispy/chunky.
- really like the frosting. Cake itself is OK.
- Oooey gooey.
- Frosting covers up for the weakness that is the cake itself.
- Really bad aftertaste. And the icing tastes like goo.
- Icing too cream-cheesy. Cake was meh. Not very red-velvety.
- The frosting tastes like butter mostly.
- Icing is really sweet. I like the sugar texture.
- OK. Jar makes it hard to serve.
- You better believe this is good.
- Definitely the sweetest of the bunch, but cupcake form. Not real conducive to sharing.
- Cake tastes fine, but the icing made the whole thing taste bad.
- cake is really good and moist. Icing not overpowering.
- Frosting has a nice flavor. Cake is so-so.
- Cake is a bit dry.
- Cake is really moist. Good.
- Am I in the Mojave Desert?
- Really good. Light, fluffy, and just the right amount of icing.
- Cake much redder than the rest, brighter. Tastes very store bought and preserved. Icing is OK.
- Beautifully moist. Love the chocolate chips in it, too.
- I like this cake texture. it’s soft and moist. This was my favorite one.
- Frosting is good, but I don’t like the came as much. A little bland.
- Creamy frosting. Kind of a dry cake.
- Feels kind of coconut-esque. Not in a bad way.
- Icing tastes like mayo.
- Tough, dry. Icing not very sweet. Tastes vegan-ish. Not for me.
- Pretty moist, nice frosting.
- Icing really thick. Cake not very flavorful.
- Cake is really bland, frosting is kind of weird.
The winner is:
The red velvet cake from Nothing Bundt Cakes, well, takes the cake. OK, that was terrible. I have to say that I agree with the tasters, the cake is spongy, with flecks of chocolate chips. And the icing is whipped to the point of being airy, and has the perfect amount of tangy cream cheese zing. So who makes your favorite red velvet cake in town? Let’s talk about it.