The Dallas 24 Hour Club recently turned forty-five years young. For most, the locale goes unnoticed — a sleepy little property on the corner Ross and Grigsby. Just another neutral facade situated between downtown Dallas and lower Greenville. For others, The Dallas 24 Hour Club has played savior. A safe haven. A second chance at life.
In celebration, the non-profit hosted an “Under the Stars” dinner event last night to raise funds for their continued mission of providing a sense of home and support for individuals transitioning from a life of substance abuse to a more optimistic future.
Dinner included courses from local and national celebrity chefs including Tim Byres (Smoke; 2014 James Beard Award Winner), Stephen Pyles (Stephen Pyles, San Salvaje, Stampede 66), Matt McCallister (FT33; 2014 James Beard Award Semi-Finalist), Justin Box (Café Momentum), David Collier (Knife), Sean Fry (TK Culinary), Jason Martin (360), and Jason Skinner (3015 at Trinity Groves).
While many plates were worthy of mention, those that were outstanding include:
• Whole roast suckling pig porchetta with bacon and guajillo braised collards, complete with beer mustard (Tim Byres).
• Prosciutto wrapped sea bass with roasted butternut squash risotto, spiced heirloom tomato jam, apple, and fennel salad (Jason Martin).
• Moroccan veal cheeks with cipolin and persimmon chutney, cauliflower puree (Jason Skinner).
• Turkey fennel sausage with chicory salad and smoked tomato vin (Justin Box).
• Barbecue brisket on a corn tortilla with blue cheese powder and green onions (Stephen Pyles).
With music provided by the LeBeaux Jazz Band, the event was not only a celebration, but also an affirmation that forty-five years is just the beginning. Dallas has always been revered for its philanthropic efforts. Should you feel compelled, you may make a donation here or by calling (214) 823-3200.