I’m only posting this news because I lost a bet. I put my money on Matt McCallister to be on this list and got smoked. This morning, Food & Wine editor, Dana Cowin, announced the winners of the magazine’s annual best new chefs issue. The following ten chefs, including Chris Shepherd of Underbelly in Houston, will be knighted at the annual Food & Wine Classic in Aspen in June where Bruno Davaillon (Mansion), Tim Love (Lonesome Dove, etc.), John Tesar (Spoon) are featured celebrity chefs. Oh, I buried the lede: Sissy Biggers is making a comeback. Remember Ready! Set! Cook! ?
Jump for them.
2013 F&W Best New Chefs
· Jamie Malone, Sea Change, Minneapolis, Minnesota
· Jason Vincent, Nightwood, Chicago
· Michael Voltaggio, Ink, Los Angeles
· Danny Bowien, Mission Chinese, New York City
· Matthew Gaudet, West Bridge, Cambridge, Mass.
· José Enrique, José Enrique, San Juan, Puerto Rico
· Chris Shepherd, Underbelly, Houston
· Justin Cogley, Aubergine, Carmel, California
· Andy Ticer & Michael Hudman, Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen, Memphis
· Alex Stupak, Empellon and Empellon Cocina, New York City