This recipe will turn you into a snob — a tortilla snob anyway. You have been warned.
Jump like a hot tortilla.
1 cup of flour
2 tbsp oil
1/4 cup water
pinch baking powder (optional)
1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until you have a shaggy ball. If the dough seems too sticky, add flour, a tsp at a time.
2. Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth & elastic, 3-5 minutes.
3. Divide dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a ball between your palms.
4. Cover with a towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat cast iron skillet to med high for 10 minutes.
6. Roll dough balls into flat rounds, 6″ in diameter.
7. Lay a round on the hot skillet. Flip it after bubbles start forming, about 20-30 seconds. Flip again when bubbles begin to form on the other side, 15-20 seconds. Give it a few final seconds to puff up more.* All told, it should take about a minute for each.
8. Repeat ’til you’ve got eight tortillas. Wrap them in paper towels and keep them in a tortilla warmer or in the oven as low as it’ll go until ready to serve.
*If they don’t puff up all the way, that’s okay – they’ll taste the same.