D Magazine intern Michelle Saunders is a healthy eater who makes vegan/vegetarian-friendly concoctions. She brought you this chickpea-free hummus last week.
Today I’m sharing one of my favorite simple dinners. As the weather gets warmer I tend to want lighter, less-cooked meals and this salad and sandwich combo is just that. With seasonal fruits like watermelon readily available, this meal only takes minutes to whip up. I like to add fresh mint to just about everything in the summer for a refreshing kick, and the colors and sweet and savory combination of flavors in the salad will make this a staple for me all season long.
Jump for the recipe.
½ a watermelon, chilled
1 bunch of fresh mint
¼ red onion
Kalamata olives (I used olive halves)
1 slice of bread (I use gluten-free millet bread)
½ an avocado
½ a tomato
1. De-seed melon and cut into chunks.
2. Finely chop bunch of mint and onion.
3. Add mint, onion, and olives to taste.
4. Squeeze lemons over salad, stir, and serve right away!
1. Toast bread and spread Dijon on it.
2. Slice avocado and tomatoes and layer on slice.
3. Top with sprouts and enjoy!