Bill Cawley and Tim Headington will be inducted into the Commercial Real Estate Hall of Fame on Wednesday, May 4 at the Dallas Country Club. Ahead of his induction, D CEO spoke to Cawley about his storied career in commercial real estate.
As the leader of Dallas-based Cawley Partners, which has acquired and developed more than 12 million square feet of office space, Cawley is focused on inspiring the next generation of industry professionals. Not only does Cawley actively serve as a mentor to a younger generation of industry professionals, but he pays it forward with his own company in growing and developing talent from within.
Here are five tips from Cawley that have served him well in his career:
- Don’t focus on money; focus on relationships. Cawley says commercial real estate is a relationship industry. It is all about who you know and how you treat them. If you focus on your client, success and money will follow.
- Pick your career path based on passion. Too many young professionals choose the career path that will earn them the most money. According to Cawley, true happiness comes from loving your career and pursuing your passion.
- Reputation is everything. Your word is your value. If you promise something, follow through with it. Cawley says you only get one reputation, so you can’t compromise on what you say you’ll do. You have to do it.
- Put yourself in the right position to succeed in your career. Cawley says companies that care about their employees will help you build your career. Escape companies that view their employees as commodities; seek out companies, jobs, and opportunities that pour into you.
- Don’t take the first opportunity that comes along. Do the homework and due diligence to know that the company and position for which you’re applying is a match for you, says Cawley. Understanding a company’s culture before you even set foot in the door will not only put you miles ahead of others, but also ensures you find a company that values and respects you.