For a larger image, click here.
1. Piece of paper on wall reads: “If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” –Albert Einstein
3. Blue book on edge of desk. The International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook. “This helps me identify the true chemical names of ingredients for the Food and Drug Administration,” Kling says.
4. Tiny rubber chicken. “This is really just for fun,” Kling says. “My sister-in-law gave it to me. If you squeeze it, an egg pops out.”
5. Cups with blue lids. “These are sample cups,” Kling says. “Projects of the day—sunblock, actually.”
6. White jug. “It’s something we’re working on for somebody,” Kling says. “It’s a complexion-clearing solution.
7. Starbucks venti decaf latte. Kling has one every morning.
photography by Joshua Martin