For the pie:
- 1 (9-inch) pastry shell
- 2 ¼ cups whole milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup Coco Lopez
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup coconut flakes, baked
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a 2-quart saucepan, simmer milk over medium heat. In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar.
- Add milk to egg and sugar and whisk until fully blended. Add flour, Coco Lopez, and cornstarch and whisk until flour and cornstarch are fully dissolved.
- Bring mixture to boil, then reduce heat and stir constantly until thick, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- After filling has thickened, mix in vanilla and coconut flakes. Spread filling onto a sheet pan and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- After filling has cooled, place in baked pie shell. Top with shipped cream and sprinkle coconut flakes.
For the whipped cream:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- Whisk whipping cream and sugar together until desired thickness.
This recipe originally ran in D: The Cookbook.