Maxine Owens has a resume any fashionista would be envious of. The Dallas-native began her design career with brands like Anthropologie, Barneys New York, and Crate & Barrel. In 2013 she started her own floral design company: The Southern Table. So what makes this stylish lady tick? We’ve got all the details.
1. Dallas Arboretum – Well, of course! Where else do you go to get inspired by locally growing floral beauty? The Arboretum is one of my favorite places in spring as well as one of my favorite wedding venues. Their concert series is starting soon, and Dallas Blooms has just extended to April 20th. With the backdrop of White Rock Lake and perfectly cared for flora, how could you not fall in love?
2. Capri Blue “Volcano” Candle – Has been my favorite for years now. Will never grow tired of it. The scent is both calming and refreshing at the same time. With hints of tropical fruits, sugared oranges, lemons, and limes, it really energizes all senses and puts me in the best creative mood, especially since my sense of smell for real flowers is almost gone. Guess that’s what happens when you’re around fresh flowers all the time!
3. Stella McCartney Spring 2014 Collection – Coral is the hue I’m most passionate about right now! The Stella Spring Collection is not only loaded with it, but with some gorgeous floral prints as well. She also mixes in yellow, blush, and pops of black to the assortment. I love how feminine it is, while at the same time very modern. I would like to say my approach to floral design follows the same suit.
4. Weekend Staycation at the Belmont Hotel – Such a great spot to relax poolside while overlooking the beautiful Dallas skyline! You’re able to retreat for a bit from the hustle and bustle, experience some vintage flair, and you don’t have to travel too far to do it. Plus, Bar Belmont, Smoke, and other great spots are all right there.
5. Cle de Peau Beaute Concealer – Nothing works better on tired eyes than this! Weddings and events often require long hours of prep and designing. This does the trick to keep me looking perky!
6. Mudsmith on Lower Greenville – I am totally an East Dallas gal, and this is my favorite stop for a coffee break. They have great music, bites, a friendly staff, and it’s right down the block from our home in the M-Streets.
7. We Are 1976 – This cool little shop on Henderson Ave is always fun to pop in to! I really want to take one of their letterpress workshops and maybe incorporate some of my calligraphy. I always love exploring new mediums and learning new crafts.
8. The Vespa Store on Greenville Ave. – Driving by and visiting this store just makes me giddy. I own a red and white scooter named “Miss Ruby” that I cruise around the neighborhood in. It makes me feel like I am riding along an Italian coast saying, “Ciao! Ciao!” as I pass people! My mind immediately goes to Rome, Florence, the Amalfi Coast, as I zoom around, and I am reminded and inspired by all the beauty that is Italy.
9. Coral Charm Peonies – This might be, if I had to say I had one, my favorite flower. The color alone is gorgeous, but the surprise is what you find when they full open up. Their golden-yellow stamen centers almost seem like a coral living the ocean. They start with rose-pink highlights and as days go by, they mature to pale apricot. Mother Nature is amazing!
10. The Savor Vacation at Savor, Klyde Warren Park – Totally in love with this concoction. Milagro Tequila, Champagne, lime, Curacao, and simple sugar. Have one while watching the outdoor fun in the Park, and you will be happy.
11. White Rock Lake Dog Park – We love taking our Weimaraner here to run free. There’s nothing more heartwarming than seeing the pure excitement of dogs. They live life in the moment, take immense pleasure in the little things, and love unconditionally. Sometimes we all need a little reminder to stay present, feel the wind in our faces, and just relax.
12. Dinner at Neighborhood Services – Dallas is known for great food, and dinner here is right at the top. It’s a wonderful place to have a cozy evening with friends over a great bottle of wine. Their wine list is one of the best, and nothing on the menu will do you wrong. Beyond delicious!!