By Caitlin Adams
Okay, I know last week I said I was all about neutrals, but if there is one place I am willing to add a bit of color, it’s in a book nook.
I have always dreamed of having my own cozy library to spend chilly evenings flipping through the pages of old tomes. I am constantly pinning ideas to create the perfect home for my book collection, and this room above has a little bit of everything my library dreams are made of: vintage books, eclectic accents, comfortable sofa, and an oriental rug. (I have searched high and low for an affordable oriental rug-any advice?)
(Ed Note: Caitlin, I have scored several rather awesome rugs on eBay on the cheap. Just search on “vintage persian rugs,” and you’ll be in business.)
It should be noted that the IKEA Expedit shelves are a game changer. We recently used them in the remodel of my boy friend’s place, and Joslyn and Krista used them to encourage reading at downtown’s Parking Day. They come in all different colors and sizes, and could serve as bookshelves, a makeshift bar, or even mud room storage.
Here are the other pieces I’d use to recreate the room, and (as always) most everything is available right here in Dallas.
- 1. Elham Rug, $379 at Pottery Barn
- 2. Lantern Garlic vase, $40 at Jonathan Adler
- 3. Lantern Gourd vase, $40 at Jonathan Adler
- 4. Tin letters $18 each at Anthropologie
- 5. Watercolor print, $20 via Etsy
- 6. Pride and Prejudice, $27 at Target
- 7. Wuthering Heights, $14 at Target
- 8. Expedit shelves, $159 at Ikea
- 9. Orchid, $85 at H. Bloom
- 10. Velvet pillow cover, $24 at West Elm
- 11. Gretel pillow, $134 at Stella Dallas
- 12. Klippan sofa, $319 at Ikea