The biggest news this week is the opening of Dallas’ 3rd food truck park. You might ask where the first two were (note the use of past-tense). There was a short-lived one on Ambassador Row near the US Food Trucks’ commissary. And then there was the Heritage Village park last summer. Both of those are now closed. I visited the “Fly By Food Truck Park” on Mockingbird at Maple Ave. last week. For those in-the-know, that’s a stone’s throw from what used to be Diaper-Mart near Love Field. The park is an old corner gasoline station and former flower shop, with tables and chairs and air conditioning inside of the old building. It’s being managed by US Food Trucks, which was successful with its recent Arlington Food Truck Fest at Rangers Stadium. My quick take on this location:
- There is seating for about 56 inside with solid restaurant-type seating. Outside picnic tables adds seating for another 2-3 dozen people.
- The only parking is on a back street behind the building.
- The location is not very good for general Dallas. I’d be less than comfortable bringing my family to this location after dark. I’m a pretty cautious and conservative person, though.
- It is not well-marked, with a prominent “For Lease” sign.
- US Food Trucks is doing a good job in rotating the variety of trucks.
- It’s a great model for other small, commercial real estate unused to space to emulate throughout Dallas.
All of the food truck operators that I checked with said that they had low expectations going into last weekend’s soft start, but that results significantly beat those expectations.
Jump for more food truck news.
On Friday, Colleyville gets a great lineup for their July 4th event. Food trucks attending include Easy Slider, Nammi, The Butcher’s Son, SoCal Tacos, Good Karma Kitchen, Jack’s Chowhound, Trailercakes, and CoolHaus.
On Sunday, the Gingerman will host a block party from 1pm to 7pm. Food trucks include OinknMoo, Easy Slider, Nammi, and Empanada Armada.
Jump for your schedule, and remember to check Twitter and Facebook feeds. Trucks do break down in this heat.[table “47” not found /]