Dallas Does New York Fashion Week
Our local fashion plates sound off on the spring 2010 collections at New York Fashion Week.
1. Kim Dawson model Ali Michael for 3.1 Phillip Lim
2. “Tribal inspiration was everywhere in amazing prints of batik and ikats. Safari jackets topped many looks and finished with a wedge shoe that often wrapped the ankle, and arms full of bangles and bracelets that looked as if they were collected on your African sojourn.” —Ken Downing, Fashion Director, Neiman Marcus
3. “I was very impressed with the new Rag & Bone store in SoHo. This is one of my favorite lines in development. Shall we say that it is really coming into its own?” —Jackie Stewart, President, Henry S. Miller Interests
4. “My spring 2010 centers around the sun faded palette of Alex Katz and the splashes of saturated color seen at Venice Beach. Combining texture and blocks of color, silhouettes resemble sculpted surf wear while soft wave and cascade shapes give the collection an ocean feel.” —Lela Rose, Designer
5. “I’ve spent hours at the legendary Bryant Park tents as a model, working with some of the icons of American fashion. And meanwhile, I’ve only been doing this design thing for a few seasons—spring ’10 is season three—and it’s kind of insane to think that I’m getting to show on that same stage.” —Erin Wasson, Designer
6. “I got to meet my muse, Carine Roitfeld, the brilliant French Vogue editor. My heart literally jumped out when I saw her step out of her limo. I have to say the Rodarte heel by Nicholas Kirkwood is the shoe for every woman to have for spring 2010. The lug-and-nut detail has a hardcore rock-and-roll feel to it, yet with elegant cut-out details, it’s just yummy.” —Nini Nguyen, Blogger, Ninistyle
7. “Kenan Thompson from Saturday Night Live and super-model Chanel Iman were on my front row. Jan Rees-Jones, Paige and Taylor Lane, Brendan Higgins, John and Lucrecia Waggoner, Alexander Pappas, Lisa Garza (pictured at left), and Mattie Roberts were also there to show support.” —Abi Ferrin, Designer
8. “I love the makeup colors for spring ’10. It’s a season of ivories, nudes, and pastels at Donna Karan. The killer Rodarte shoes are awesome. The super-fine leather tee at 3.1 Phillip Lim is fun.” —Hanh Merriman, Blogger, Life-in-Travel
9. “Derek Lam has a fierce white ostrich tote that is a must-have come spring, and Devi Kroell’s bag collection was one of my favorites.” —Tina Craig, Bag Snob
10. Inspired by 1970s Americana, Be & D designers Be Inthavong (ex-Dallasite) and Steve Dumain reinvented the Woodstock with leather-covered studs and a new custom-created color, citrus (pictured at left). Braided and studded shoes, belts, and headbands complete the “soft meets hard” spring collection. The duo also collaborated with designers Doo-Ri Chung and Rachel Roy to produce accessories for their runways.
11. “We are really focusing on accessories for spring ’10. We picked up some amazing jewelry, bags, and shoes. We’ll be adding Alyssa Norton and Etten Eller to our mix and really bulking up on Alexander Wang’s bags and shoes, as they are all so good.” —Jackie Bolin, Owner, V.O.D.