For a larger image, click here.
1. Piece of paper on wall reads: “If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” –Albert Einstein
2. Canoe paddle. Says Kling: “The paddle is what we used 20 years ago to mix chemicals in 55-gallon drums. We stopped using it after a logo on the paddle started to fade and we realized it was coming off into the product.”
3. Blue book on edge of desk. The International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook. “This helps me identify the true chemical names of ingredients for the Food and Drug Administration,” Kling says.
4. Tiny rubber chicken. “This is really just for fun,” Kling says. “My sister-in-law gave it to me. If you squeeze it, an egg pops out.”
5. Cups with blue lids. “These are sample cups,” Kling says. “Projects of the day—sunblock, actually.”
6. White jug. “It’s something we’re working on for somebody,” Kling says. “It’s a complexion-clearing solution.
7. Starbucks venti decaf latte. Kling has one every morning.
photography by Joshua Martin